Monday, July 23, 2012

Iowa Hot

Iowa Hot This is how we will describe a hot day from now on. “Yeah, it’s hot, but is it Iowa hot?!” Even the people who live here…Iowians?...are wilting in the sun. I’m told it is close to 100 degrees. And still these people peddle on, without even benefit of shade. I have come to rest in a campground in Lake View, and we have a lovely lake view. Now we’re hoping for a lovely lake breeze. Arthur, Annie, and I have managed two rendezvous today, one at the mid-day meeting point in Schaller and now at tonight’s resting place in Lake View. The cyclists put in about 65 miles today, and tomorrow’s route is even longer. I’m already murmuring gentle encouragements to just get to the mid-point and Big Red will show you why he’s called a pick-up truck…no heroics please.

When I stepped out of the camper this morning at 5:45 into the dawn’s early light to wrangle the breakfast burritos and coffee, I could see the early riders already quietly rolling out of last night’s town. It is awesome to watch this huge army and its support vehicles move out across the horizon.

I’m sure there are hundreds of stories of the kindness of strangers in this kind of operation. I have two myself just from today.

Once Big Red is parked, he does not move, so errands must be accomplished on foot or bike. After my riders had peddled off at 6:30 AM, I took on the chore of finding a place to fill the sun shower bag for later use. I peddled to the nearest convenience store, where they happily put 4 gallons of water in the bag. When I was trying to figure out how to carry it back on my bicycle, I must have bumped it on the sprocket, because it sprung a serious leak. The nice man that had just filled it up for me hustled off for his super glue and duct tape and spent 10 minutes mending my shower bag.

Later, having arrived at our next resting place, I set off to find water to fill our large plastic jugs. The volunteer at the camping area gate couldn’t raise anyone on his walky talky to tell us where the nearest hydrant was, so he insisted on calling his niece, who came in her car, picked me up, and took me to her house about a mile away to use their hose before driving me back.

I’ve heard that midwesterners are friendly, and I am here to tell you that this is so.

Tonight we will patronize one of the many meals organized by local citizens….lasagna and pie to support the local high school raising funds for their class trip. The added attraction is that dinner comes with a shower! Onward tomorrow to Webster City.

1 comment:

  1. Former environmental lobbyist or up-and-coming author?!? Go Team Merrow!

    ReplyDelete